“The competition to hire the best will increase in the years ahead”, Bill Gates.
It is clear with current trends that the “War for Talent” will not be over soon. However making a right decision in hiring is still remains a mystery to most of the recruiters and hiring managers. Lets try to analyze current selection tools.
What doesn’t work?
1.Reference Checks– Rated highly but found least effective in research done by Wharton business school. Usually employers avoid giving negative reviews for an ex-employee to avoid any legal or moral obligations.
2. Personality test- as reported in Harvard business review, Four Quadrant (4-Q) personality tests are very less dependable while taking a hiring decision.
3. Unstructured interviews-inability to address all areas of fitment in the organization, unstructured interviews mostly lead to a vacillating hiring decision.
4. Job Knowledge Tests- works better than many other tools when it comes to predicting future performance, however the correlation with future performance is still less than 0.50 (Ryan&Tippins, 2004).
5. Structured Interviews- I personally recommend Structured Interviews based on my experience with analysis of attrition reports & employee successes in various organizations. Moreover, you always have a better vision of current & future fitment being a strategic business partner.
6. Cognitive Ability Tests- surprisingly these types of test show a strong correlation (over 0.50) with future performance of an employee. Now a days, most of the multinational organizations adopting to Cognitive Ability tests.
7. Work samples- I could recollect at least 7-8 hiring decisions at senior level, where we (out of confusion) asked for work samples and the result was 100% success. Relevant work samples showed highest, over 0.54 correlation (Ryan&Tippins, 2004).So, it is not at all wrong in asking for brief presentations or small projects specially for positions where innovation or creativity is involved.
“The secret of my success is that we have gone to exceptional lengths to hire the best people”, said Steve Jobs.
About Yogesh Singh
Yogesh has over 10 years of experience and has worked with organizations like VARUNA INTEGRATED LOGISTICS PVT. LTD., SKYRA Professional Tableware, iThree Infotech Pvt. Ltd. & TRAZE FASHIONS. Yogesh holds a Executive MBA, HUMAN RESOURCES Grade A from GITM.